New Municipal Commissioner Bhaskar Wankhede has drawn 10 proposals for redevelopment of footpaths in Koper Khairane.
Uneven footpaths have become a routine problem for residents here. All their complaints in this regard have fallen on deaf ears.
Mohan Dagaonkar, City Engineer of NMMC informs, “On the basis of complaints received from residents we had organized a survey in Koper Khairane region. Initially, we are planning to re-lay 10 stretches of footpaths in different sectors at an estimated cost of Rs 2 crore.
But if residents expect the work to be done soon, here is what Dagaonkar says, “This is the initial step. Once the Standing Committee passes the proposal, tenders will be floated and accordingly orders will be passed for the work. However, the process may take another three months. And once the approval from general body is obtained, the work will be initiated. But by next monsoon these footpaths will surely don a new look.
A resident, Saif Khan fumes, “The Corporation is only focusing on the external part of the city. Sector 1 has the most uneven footpaths with broken drain caps. The link pathway of Sector 2 Row Houses to Sector 4 main road behind Terna College is in a poor condition. The footpaths which are in good condition are blocked by pipelines stocked on them like on the one ahead of Skylark Apartments towards D Mart in Sector 15”.
Zulfin Khan, another resident says, “It is only due to slow procedures of NMMC that the works are delayed. If the proposal for redevelopment would have been taken up ahead of monsoon, then the works would have ended well in time”.
Following are the proposed stretches
1. Sector-4-Footpath in front of Tilak College
2. Sector 6 – Footpath from Mathadi Hospital to 6 Ten shop
3. Sector 16 – Footpath from Provissa Tower to City Apartments
4. Sector 5 – Footpath from Progressive Impress to Hanuman Temple
5. Sector 19 – Footpath from crematorium to Ekvira Temple along Creek
6. Sector 2 – Footpath from City Shine Society to Agarwal Plaza
7. Sector 15 – Footpath from Yashwantrao Chavan College to Skylark Apartments
8. Sector 20 – Footpath from Sea Rock Plaza Society to Satyam Society
9. Sector 5 – Footpath from Parsik Bank to Charbhuja Snacks near Koper Khairane Railway Station
10. Sector 19 – Footpath from Shyamvan Society to Madhukar Patil House along Creek.
–Jaspal Singh Naol